The Marketing Trends that were predicted to take center stage during 2011 are:
- Building reliable advocates – we are beginning to realize that just having tens of thousands of followers or friends are not going to get us where we want to go. Marketers want brand advocates – quality connections who are loyal and will be helpful in spreading the message.
- Niches – focusing on expertise in one, or a few areas, and not trying to be all things to all people. Small businesses need to focus on niches and position themselves as experts in those areas.
- Quality content – useful, quality content adds value and will help create online conversations that override the “noise”.
- Social media – marketers will beef up their social media marketing efforts as consumers spend more time online. No matter what size your business is, a social media presence is required.
- Monitoring social media – it’s important to know what people are saying, where they are saying it and who they are saying it to.
- Mobile marketing – mobile ads, branded apps and QR codes – consumers expect businesses to have a mobile presence.
- Localized Marketing and Geotargeting – Local discount sites like Groupon or Yelp make it easy to localize your marketing efforts. Marketers will begin to create local, targeted marketing campaigns using tools like these.
- Silo Marketing is Ineffective – it’s all about integrating the various marketing channels to spread your message and lead consumers from one message to another. Cross media marketing will drive a significant ROI for marketers.
- Co-marketing – when you partner with another complementary organization and develop co-marketing programs it helps to boost returns and lower your costs. It also can expose your business to new audiences.
So, how are those predictions doing? I’d say they are coming to pass. I particularly see progress with organizations realizing that it’s not about ink/toner on paper, it’s not about your website, your social media or mobile marketing. It’s about all of those. An integrated multi-channel approach to marketing will bring a far better return on the marketing dollars you are spending.
I’m in the process of researching the marketing trends we can expect to see in 2012 and will be sharing those with you in December.